Friday, October 9, 2009

P:C - The Ministry of Presence

My story doesn’t currently have an ending to it, just a beginning and part of a middle. The people that I have sat and talked to, mostly at First Supper, are a group of homeless/jobless men. It all started with Claude and a Frisbee. We didn’t talk about God, but we laughed and enjoyed the time together. The next night he invited me to sit with him. I thought that was my job. So for the last several nights I’ve tried to practice the ministry of presence with these men. I’ve sat and eaten with them, tried to figure out (and finally succeeded!) how to put a Rubik cube together that one of them proudly brings each night, and talked about music and photography with them. It’s been a joy to share life and community with them. I hope that through my presence they’ve seen God in me. I hope and pray they’ll continue to seek community.

No comments:

Post a Comment